International SIM Card vs Local SIM Card
International travel can lead to unexpected costs for those who use their existing SIM card. This is because most service providers apply high roaming fees, which can quickly add up. However, there are alternatives to paying these excessive charges, such as purchasing an international SIM card or obtaining a local SIM card in the country you are visiting. In this article, tries to go into the depth of these options to figure out which one triumphs over the other. Let’s begin!
People are then left with a choice between an international SIM card and a local one. Now while each has its own advantages, this blog tries to go into the depth of these options to figure out which one triumphs over the other. Let’s begin!
What Is Roaming?
When you use your phone outside of your carrier’s network coverage area, you are considered to be roaming. Roaming means that you are using a new carrier’s network and will be charged at a different rate than you would normally pay. In the past, roaming fees were charged per minute for voice calls, per text message, and per megabyte for data. While some carriers still use this fee structure, many now offer a set number of daily minutes as part of their roaming plans.
Unfortunately, roaming charges can quickly become expensive due to the lack of competition among telecom providers. However, a daily roaming plan could be a viable option for short trips where you will only need to make calls and send texts without using data. Alternatively, some carriers may offer free international data, calls, or other add-on services, so it’s worth checking with your carrier to see what options are available.
If you do choose to use a roaming plan, it’s important to contact your carrier beforehand to inquire about their packages. This will help you understand what is included in your plan and whether you will need to obtain a local SIM or eSIM for data usage while traveling.
What Is an International SIM Card?
International SIM cards are a special type of SIM card that allow users to access mobile data and utilize call and text services on nearly any network offered by any carrier. These SIM cards are particularly useful as they help to eliminate many of the issues that arise with using local or regional SIMs, or when roaming. They offer extensive coverage with a single card, operate in one language, and can be easily managed online.
However, international SIM cards are typically designed for long-term travelers or those who travel frequently for work, such as seafarers or flight crew. As such, it can be challenging to locate an international SIM card that offers smaller data packages that are more suited for short-term travel.That means an international SIM card might be best if you:
- Who will be traveling for a prolonged period
- Visiting multiple regions/countries
- Require significant amounts of data to communicate with family and friends.
- How does the International SIM card function?
In terms of functionality, it is very different from a local SIM. The international SIM cards work on various networks spread across different geographical locations around the world. It allows the users to connect to these networks without paying exorbitant roaming charges for making or getting calls.
This happens primarily because the carriers have agreements in place with the other carriers across the globe that allow the customers to use the telecommunication networks. This helps the consumer save lots of money and the hassle of keeping a tab on the balance, recharging the number, network troubles, etc.
- The benefits of owning an international SIM card
- Bid adieu to the worries of answering calls when you’re abroad. With maximum countries covered under the international SIM card, you can be free from worry and pay extra just for answering.
- One SIM for all: No longer do you have to worry about buying a SIM every time you travel to a new country. One card for all your trouble-free life!
- Most international SIM cards are designed to give better coverage and service as they are intended for travel purposes.
- Pay a little less: These SIM cards offer plans that give you good value for money. You thus have to pay less for calls, texts, and data compared to using a roaming SIM card.
- Who should buy an international SIM card?
If you’re someone who likes to travel a lot or has a job that requires you to be on the move continuously. Then an international SIM card makes a whole lot more sense. Even if you’re on a world tour or say traveling on a short-term basis to a place it makes sense to buy an international SIM card.
What Is a Local SIM Card?
A local SIM card is a physical SIM card that you purchase at your destination, and it is one of the most popular ways to obtain cell service while traveling abroad because it is a fast way to obtain data. You can typically find SIM card vendors at almost every international airport, and they offer various data packages to suit your needs while traveling.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that these data packages can often be more expensive and are typically geared towards tourists. This may be suitable if you only require data for a brief period, but if you plan to stay for an extended time, it might be worth exploring options at an authorized dealer located within the destination.
- ✓ A local SIM card offers several unique benefits that could be suitable for your requirements:
- ✓ A local SIM card provides you with a local number.
- ✓ Local SIM cards typically do not have contracts and offer flexible lengths of time.
- This is an established and reliable option that consistently works.
- Benefits of Local SIM Card
- Have your personal local number: This is one of the best reasons why you should own a local SIM card, especially if you’re moving to the place for study or work purposes. Or if you’re relocating for other personal reasons and intend to stay for a longer duration.
- No hassles of contract: If your SIM card provider is like CanadianSIM, you never have to worry about contracts. No hassles. No contract. Just value-driven services.
- Advantages in other activities: Having a local number can help you fasten and at times even make it easier when it comes to applying for other activities in the area. You also get the best offers that might be there to avail due to events, festivals, etc.
- History: The local SIMS have been in use for a long time now, these are time-tested options and have proven their use, too.
- Who should opt for a local SIM?
A local SIM works best for people who are applying for a college or university or who are moving for work purposes. It also works great for people who are moving for personal reasons and have to stay for long
- The drawback of local SIM
There is only one issue with purchasing a local SIM. One has to wait to land, then track a local store, apply for the local SIM and wait a while till you can receive it and activate it. This means one has to use the roaming SIM card and causes a lot of hassle in terms of network coverage, money and issues for the family as well, as they might get worried.
If your SIM card service provider is like CanadianSIM or you’re one of those lucky few who’s moving to Canada of all the places, then you need not look any further or be worried. CanadianSIM offers you the SIM card to your doorstep even before you take off from India. Yes. You can now have your Canadian SIM card even before you land. No contracts. No hassles. The best plans at the most affordable prices. The best part is you can activate it the moment you land. No worries, no tension. To you or your family.